In a few decades time the common names will cease to exist. No more 'May's, or 'Kenneth's (till date I think I know at least 10 people by the name Kenneth). Why choose a non-unique name when every single one of us is unique? You can name your children anything under the sun right?
Like naming your kid after colours, months, places, famous people, flowers, yada yada.. Spare me the passe-ness! You know what's not passe? The funnier or weird the name sounds, the better. Because I say so. Never watch Kim Sam Soon right? Go and watch.
I'm going to name my daughter Serratia! This I think everyone knows already. Just imagine - my daughter named after a bacteria? Way cool! For son, erm. None yet, but definitely not Reynolds! Maybe Marcesens or something. How come most bacteria/mould/fungi names sound so girly? Like Escherichia, Staphylococcus (like stephy), Aspergillus. Actually the name 'Mozarella' (non-bacteria genre) sounds not bad too, can consider.
I did think of adding an 'O' to 'May' so it becomes 'Mayo', like - Mayo mayo mayonnaise? But apparently it then sounds like 没有 in chinese?! So I'm like barred from getting married otherwise my name might turn out to be Mayo Lee (没有力) or Mayo Goh (没有狗) or Mayo Sim(没有心) or Mayo Tan (没有蛋).. so on so forth..you get the picture. Sigh. Actually, Serratia Wee sounds nice also lor. You can pronounce 'Serra' then 'SherWee' .. it flows very well right.. !! Not the same effect if I were Serratia Tan or Serratia Lim anyway. You can pronounce 'Serratia' the Ms Leong way of 'Sir-russia' OR the new found way of 'Sara-tee-a'. Gah.. I'm so tempted to change my name again.
(Btw sorry if I'm not suppose to say the following out)
Jiashin will name his son 'Myofibril" - the protein in meat muscles! Haha. I think she's just kidding =X
And Mr. Sammy names his kids Chocolate and Coffee..wahaha may sound common but definitely is uncommon.
See?? It's people with unforgettable names that get remembered!
I remember Lilian Li Lizhen from Zhonghua, whom I completely have no acquaintance with, but simply because her name is rather interesting to pronounce with. Lily Lee Li Li will sound even better man!!
So don't be sad if you have a common/usual name ok. I guess anyone born during my time or earlier, are destined/doomed to have boring names. =(