I have something to announce. It's really big.
...
I've finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!!!
Wow. What a blast.
Ok, maybe not. Let's just say, 7 out of 10 times I could predict what was going to happen, 2 or 3 chapters out of the 36 were dedicated on explaining why certain things happen this way or another. I didn't like that! I mean, what's the point of letting something happen, and then thereafter using up 30 pages of the fantastic book on explaining them? Shouldn't enlightenment come when it should?
Nevertheless, it was great. It pretty much explains why I finished the book in two days flat! Couldn't stop I tell you! Saddening though, now that I have to mourn for Harry Potter. Oops. Gonna kill me for that slip of the tongue (or fingers in this case)? Nah don't worry! I don't mean Harry Potter's dead (not saying he's alive, either), but mourn in the sense for grieving over the last instalment of the Harry Potter series. Harry Potter, who's been with me since I was 12, is gone. The boy who lived, the boy who grew up with me! Again, I'm talking about the book not the character. Every year brings a new anticipation, because there's one new book each year. You know how miserable life can get when you have nothing to look forward to.
And you know what's more an important news in 2008? Not the Beijing olympics, but the absence of Harry Potter book 8! Oh, who cares about sporty weirdo pandas for pete's sake?! *wails miserably*
It feels really weird. It's like you've been watching this 500-episode drama series, and suddenly, it's the finale. The final episode. How does one deal with this? Trust me, it wasn't easy trying to read the Deathly Hallows. When you're 1/2 way through the book, you want to know the ending so badly. And when you're 3/4 done with, you suddenly slow down. A realisation hits you, because 1. you start to panic for people's lives (yes, I was practically screaming away ever since chapter 31) 2. you're about to finish the book and it's really the end 3. so should you slow down reading or speed up?!
Gosh. Do you know that I spent the whole of Sunday night dreaming about Harry Potter and characters? It was so freaky, must have been way too engrossed in the book the whole afternoon.
Anyway, a funny snippet from the book:
The idea of a teenage Dumbledore was simply odd, like trying to imagine a stupid Hermione or a friendly Blast-Ended Skrewt
J.K. Rowling had lied! It wasn't two people that had died!
So. Burning questions I had:
1. Who survived - Harry or Voldemort?
2. Who are the people who died alongside?
3. Did Dumbledore really die?
4. Did Snape really kill Dumbledore?
(oh, btw, questions 3 & 4 are spoilers for book 6, so it doesn't count)
All I can say is I had fulfilling and satisfied answers.
And, you'd never guess the fourth 'person' on the book cover of the kid's edition! The answer's so - O_O
I now declare my set of 7 Harry Potter books as my horcruxes and that it be buried with me in my afterlife. Alright, I'm obsessed.
Ok. Time for spoilers! Do not continue reading if you don't want to be 'spoiled'! I'll not be typing anything after the spoilers so you can stop scrolling now.
****** SPOILERS WARNING ******
Ok. I am SO FREAKING GLAD that Voldemort died in the end. You won't believe this! He did the Avada Kedevra on Harry Potter . And again, he escaped death! And to think it was Malfoy's mum who kinda 'saved' a bit of his life. Ssssshhhh don't tell anyone this but yes, I'd been jumping on my bed when "Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse". Something Harry Potter fans have been waiting for 7 long years!! :D
I feel damn sorry for Snape. The bad guy for six years (especially when he killed Dumbledore), and yet he's the hero of the day. Trust me, he was even more heroic than Dumbledore had been. Dumbledore on the other hand, was quite tainted to my disbelief. =( Nonetheless, they're both my heroes.
As for the ending, I wished Rowling had never put in that '19 years later' chapter. Quite of an extra IMO. Still, a happy ending. Guess I'll have good dreams tonight then!
Looking on the bright side, there's still the movies for book 6 & 7! ^_^