Cosplay // July 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Pardon for the long long lack of updates! You probably know by now why I've been missing in action for the like, past couple of weeks? (If no then you obviously don't read blog titles, do you?!)

Got tons of pictures so you'd better watch out!



See my new hobby? Haha yup, COSPLAYING!

Honestly I'd never thought there would be a day when I'd do such shenanigen riffraff stuff. But but! That's a major wrong conception of cosplayers around. It's actually damn fun you know.

Ah. I know what you're thinking, but:
1. We're not crazy teenagers who go around pretending to be in a fantasy world
2. We definitely have more fun than you-who-thinks-this-way ^_^

Our first ever cosplay event was at the Singapore Toys and Comics Convention 2008! Did you spot us there? :X Yep so before that I was busy scouring for Ema Skye's (from Apollo Justice) costume...



This is Ema Skye ! *munch munch munch munch munch* on Snackoos

Treasure Hunt Mission:
1. White spectacles with pink lenses
2. Glass test tubes and cork
3. Black belt with oval gold buckle
4. Red sling bag with clasp
5. Lab coat
6. Green vest
7. Red scarf
8. Snackoos (A brown coloured snack)

Unfortunately, two major things you need for cosplaying also happens to be Time and Money, with like 7 parts Time to 3 parts Money. :(

Oi... don't think I didn't hear you say 'waste time' or 'crazy' for the 74th time.

Managing to find similar or exact materials is no mean feat! Which is why the sense of satisfaction is uber good when you finally find/make it :) I even handmade my green vest, which makes me a fantastic seamstress on top of being a cosplayer! *ahem* Eh. Minus the fact that I dare not throw it into the washing machine... for it goes in in one piece, and out in three.

Say it with me - COSPLAYING IS GREAT FUN!! Yahoo!! Trust me, I'd never lie. o:) You have to try it for yourself! But of course there is a prerequisite for cosplaying. And that is you must have a fictional character you like, and thus bringing your love for the character one level higher.... hehe sounds soppy eh? But told you! I'm addicted to the Phoenix Wright, way tooooo addicted! If you don't play it, go play it. If you play it, then cosplay with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!



像吗?像吗?



Ema Skye from the past and Ema Skye from the future! Haha ok I'll explain it to those Phoenix Wright noobs xP

Pz is Ema Skye when she was 15 years old, first appearing in the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney game, while I'm Ema Skye after coming back from Europe studying forensic science, 25 years old.


Young Ema Skye

Anyway, at cosplaying events you definitely get to see more other cosplayers, some even which you can relate to, like Professor Layton with Luke and the Golden Apple!



Anyway the STCC wasn't a major cosplay event, more like cosplaying was a sub-event so there weren't many cosplayers there.

So here comes the juicy bit.... Cosfest 2008!

One of the best events I ever did/went during the holidays. At least now I can say my holidays haven't been wasted.


Cosfest 2008, at Downtown East


Cosfest was just a week after the Toys & Comic convention (Toycon), so of course we didn't have time to make another costume, but then again we haven't have had enough of cosplaying Ema Skye!

Cosplaying lets you feel like a mini celebrity you know? There would be like 15 cameras aimed at you, one shot after another and you just have to keep posing. Even kids go "Mum, I haven't see finish!!" like as though we were for real. Sounds like cosplayers very AA... well yes I suppose, can't deny that, but main point is, we only AA when cosplaying but are definitely normal people when the costume's off, alright ??


Ema Skyes obsessed with picture taking

(Honestly sometimes it can be quite a drag putting on the costume, and plus all the efforts behind the costume, surely it won't hurt to take as many pictures as possible right?!)


Ha. More pictures.


Anybody wants more scientific evidence of my scientific identity, scientifically?! *munch munch munch munch munch*


HOLD IT! It's Franziska and Phoenix! Couldn't believe our eyes when we saw them ... hardly anyone knows the Phoenix Wright game lor. See?? It's really super fun when you have more people cosplaying under the same game/theme. You can see the real Franziska von Karma and Phoenix Wright in my header pic.

I can't wait for the next cosplay event, tentative on 9th August at Suntec Convention Hall in conjunction with the World Cyber Games (WCG). Takers, anyone? :D

Other amazing cosplayers... haha I think Pz and I were the only cosplayers who went around taking pictures of other cosplayers... Guess we were too noob?


OMG L just appeared!! Is he going to kill me with his death note taken from Kira?!

Anyway this L is really one cute kid. He walks, looks, acts like L, totally.









By the way if you want a really good photographer for say events and stuff, you can look Fabian through me whom we met at the toycon! The above three pictures were taken by him and I must really hand it to him man. Such great angles, poses and composition, 赞!



My favourite two cosplayers, from L d'corda (or sth like that). I'm a total sucker for guys who play the violin *drool, melt and faint* .............. only that the person playing the violin is a girl. I might become les for her! Just kidding.



Haha wish I could tell you which characters were from where but, too bad I have like a super limited anime/cartoon vocabulary... that I don't even know if this guy is Gundam or Transformer. Or are they the same?? :X And this costume I assure you, costs a minimum thousand I tell you.

By the way, I bumped into Jinhe at Cosfest but quite surprisingly she didn't cosplay cause I thought she was much more of a fanatic than I am. And btw Jin if you're reading this.... read carefully: I . saw. Harry. after. I . saw. you. Yes - that Harry. THE Harry. HARRY TAN HAO HAN.


Haruhi
Very cute! Loads of fanboys there I tell you.


Other Haruhi characters


Naruto (I think. Or is he some other character from Naruto?)




Not sure who but love their costume and the pink hair :D
(They were going 'Objection!' when they saw us xD)


Another one of my favourite costumes, especially the one in red - damn cool can?!


A really tall elf. I saw her post on the forum and according to her, her costume was a 9-month long project.... *gulp* but wait till you see another....


Hers was a year long project (heard her saying)! WTH! Total admiration for her hardwork.


Huan Zhu Ge Ge with a sexy twist. Uh. .....


I suspect they're from San Guo Yi... but not sure. And that blade/sword/pointy thing you see? HUUUUGE.


Duck! Man! Duckman!


Veteran cosplayer, Yuanie. Super nice costume.


They were so bleach white that they even reflected the flash off their skins! OMG!

Ok... so that's about all for Cosfest. Of course there were many more other cosplayers, including those on Day 1 (we went on Day 2 only). If you want to see them just go to sgcafe.com>SGCosplay>Cosplay Photos and Clips

Let you have a sneek peek of my next cosplay project... *drumroll...*



Trucy Wright from Apollo Justice!

Mind you, I've already finished the costume, hehe! Yatta!

There were much more hands-on work for Trucy than Ema, which is also why I've been missing the whole time.


My ultra messy work place cum sewing station. Satin is so friggin hard to work with! It frays everywhere like crazy! I even 'chop' the ironing board and iron and moved it into my room :S

And in the course of sewing, I've become a living size voodoo doll - so many needles poking me :(


Halfway of doing the cape, which is the hardest part of the whole costume.


My cape 97% complete! Hehe.... my cape looks good right? :D I've seen some really ugly ones sold on EBay for like S$150 lor.... omg. Their poker patterns aren't even of the correct colour. If you need one, look for me! I'll make one for erm.... price negotiable :P

So maybe you'll see me in it during the WCG cosplay. But by then school would have started... argh.... sucks!

2 Comments

Anonymous Anonymous: "Dearest May

I am a fanatic but I also happen to be a lazy fanatic. I don't know how to turned into a professional seamtress overnight because it kills me just thinking about how I am going to sew the stuff my character of choice wears. And I cannot believe you already have a second project in mind.

Re: Harry, OH MY FUCKING GOD LOLOLOLOL. Is all.

I hope you get to read this comment since I have not talked to you in what feels like years. School has started and I am up to the neck with shit, but I plan to catch up with your fantabulous life soon.

I guess you will be attending the EOY then? Maybe someday I will get down to the nitty gritty details of cosplay, but no need to brainwash me on the awesomeoness of the hobby. I already know.

♥
"

Anonymous Anonymous: "Oh my goshness MAY!

I hope you don't mind my stumbling across your blog. (I hadn't even realized you had a new one.) 4E4 Shu Ting here and I am amazed that you cosplay! Not to mention very, very envious. Why did I miss Cosfest and why do I not play Phoenix Wright and why do I not cosplay!?

Anyway. You looked great! :D

~Shu Ting
"

 
 
 
free counter with statistics